Realtime morphing

Project diary for a realtime morphing demonstration. We are two skilled students at gsCept university creating an advanced real time morphing simulation. This is our diary about it.

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

What's new

Been busy the last week because I finally got a new computer to put the 6800 in.
The card is fast, VERY fast and with SM 3.0, Ultrashadow, floating point blending etc I've been able to increase the visual quality and get a nice speedbost.
Also implemented the volumetric lightning a little different and now its very fast.
Got rid of aliasing problems regarding the volumetric light and right now I'm in the process of adding volumetric fog.
Overall it's starting to look really good when everything starts coming together :)

Friday, January 14, 2005

Back on track again,

Since my last update I haven't had so much time to devote into the project because of another course we read parallel (me and a classmate made a quake3 map viewer in java for a graphics assignment).
But now I'm back on track just in time for the second project demonstration.
Today me and Oskar met and decided what to show during the demonstration.
I added some configurability to the viewer, we can now disable /enable environment mapping, volumetric lightning and plane morphing. We can also switch textures for the projected light and control some animation of it. Everything to make it easier to demonstrate for our professors.

I also updated my timeschedule for the third phase of the project. Since I've been very much ahead of my current schedule it was almost completely rewritten since the original.

To sum it up, my goals with the project is almost achieved so I will spend the remaining phase
- rewriting the engine to fit the new nVidia card (still haven't tested it since the PSU hasn't arrived)
- increase the visual quality
- optimize everything
- write some kind of demo which will be used in the final presentation of the project.
- Fix bugs that might appear, probably regarding animation since that part isn't thoroughly tested yet.

I'll probably wont be able to keep myself away from testing new effects and shader techniques but nothing "new" is planned for the project.

Friday, January 07, 2005

textures starting...

So, the modelling is 100%, and the rigging is pretty much finished (haven't painted bone weights yet) ... Anyway - I have now started to seriously work on the textures. This is a VERY important part. Ugly textures = ugly overall look. Nice textures = nice overall look.

For the rigging I decided to do many things manually. This is because my experience says that when I try to make things work automatically, they tend to backstab me by not working at all and be very difficult to adjust. By having them manually operated, I will have to do some more work when animating, but I will most likely avoid some very irritating errors. I have tested the rig by baking it and it seems to work fine. At first it didn't work because I had an animated group above the root joint, which ofcourse wasn't read by the exporter. I solved this simply by creating an expression in the rootjoint to copy the things from my animated group. These expressions are baked when baking the simulation, so it works good.